1 pkg (375 g) Italpasta Total Penne
1 1/2 lb (750 g) flank steak
4 tsp (20 mL) steak spice
3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
2 Portobello mushrooms, gills removed
2 cobs corn, husks and silk removed
1 cup (250 mL) halved grape tomatoes
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup (75 mL) finely crumbled feta cheese
3 tbsp (45 mL) finely sliced fresh basil
Hot pepper flakes, optional
Apple Cider Vinaigrette:
1/3 cup (75 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup (60 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well. Season steak with 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the steak spice. Toss mushrooms and corn with remaining oil and steak spice.
- Grill steak, turning once, for 12 to 15 minutes or until well-marked and internal temperature reaches 145°F (63C) for medium-rare; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Grill corn, turning, for 8 to 10 minute or until lightly charred and tender. Grill mushrooms, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until grill-marked and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain well. Thinly slice steak across the grain. Cut kernels from corn cobs and slice Portobello mushrooms.
- Toss pasta with Apple Cider Vinaigrette; stir in steak, corn, mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado, onion, feta and basil. Garnish with hot pepper flakes (if using).
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette: Whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
Tip: Using a spoon, scrape away gills from Portobello mushrooms. This will prevent the dark colour from leaching into the pasta salad.
Per 1/8 recipe:
Calories 560; Fat 26g; Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 500mg; Carbohydrate 48g; Fibre 7g; Sugars 4g; Protein 33g