Bacon and Artichoke Spaghetti
With an explosion of flavours, this yummy spaghetti makes a wonderful supper main dish or dinner party starter.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Artisan Spaghetti
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 shallots, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 jars artichokes, drained and chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 cups packed spinach
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook bacon for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown and crispy around edges. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate; chop and set aside.
- Reserve 2 tbsp (30 mL) bacon fat in pan (discard or reserve remaining fat for another use). Cook shallots, garlic, chili and thyme for 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in artichokes; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until well coated.
- Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened and flavourful. Stir in spinach; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until just starting to wilt.
- Add pasta and reserved cooking liquid to skillet, tossing until pasta is well coated. Sprinkle with bacon, Parmesan and chives.