This all in one dish has all the goodness you want in a pasta pie. Baked in cheese, salty Italian salami and pops of freshness from herbs. Best for making an impression at your parties – it will have everyone begging for seconds.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Rigatoni
- 1/4 cup butter (unsalted), add extra for greasing pan
- 2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cup full-fat milk
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen), frozen
- 3/4 cup Genoa Salami, chopped
- 2 cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 3/5 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- Butter a 9-inch spring form pan or a baking dish and then dust it all over with 1/8 of the Parmesan Cheese.
- To make your béchamel sauce, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk for 1 to 2 minutes until nutty and fragrant.
- Gradually whisk in milk and continue to whisk as it comes to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium/low. Cook, whisking continuously until sauce has thickened, approx. 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in cheddar cheese and 1/2 of Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in the egg until well incorporated. Cover sauce and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta following package directions, until almost al dente. (Pasta will continue to cook while baking). Add peas to pasta water; cook until just tender, about 1 minute. Drain peas and pasta.
- Add pasta and peas to cheese sauce and mix. Add the chopped spinach, 4/5 of parsley, and 9/10 of mint and the salami to pasta mixture; mix gently until well incorporated. (Use a large bowl if saucepan is not large enough).
- Whisk together ricotta and lemon in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Transfer half of pasta mixture to prepared pan and then dot half of ricotta mixture over pasta. Spoon remaining pasta mixture into pan and dot with remaining ricotta. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan over top.
- Transfer pan onto baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake pasta for approximately 40 minutes until bubbling and golden brown. Let rest for 30 minutes; run a knife around the edge of pan to make the release easier and then release spring form pan. Sprinkle with remaining parsley and mint, and cut into wedges and serve.