Caprese Stuffed Turkey Meatballs with Spaghetti
Oozing with mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and basil, these meatballs will add a wow factor to any holiday feast.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Total Spaghetti
- 1/3 cup Italpasta Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar Italpasta Strained Tomatoes - Passata Classica
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp onion, grated
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 cube mozzarella, 1/2 inch thick
- 12 fresh basil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes
- Gently mix together turkey, bread crumbs, egg, onion, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Divide into portions (approx. 3 per serving); set aside.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Partially scoop out centre of tomato halves with small melon baller. Sandwich a cube of mozzarella between 2 tomato halves and wrap with 1 basil leaf. Roll a portion of turkey mixture around each tomato making sure to enclose properly so cheese doesn’t melt out. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large skillet set over medium heat. Cook meatballs in 2 batches for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to plate. Saute onions for 1 to 2 minutes or until softened. Add strained tomatoes and pepper flakes to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Toss pasta with sauce. Serve with meatballs over top. Sprinkle parsely on top.