Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 1 whole chicken, about 3 lb / 1.4 kg
- 1 lemon, zested and sliced
- 1 pkg (450 g pkg) Italpasta Artisan Fusilli
- 1/4 bunch parsley, stems and leaves separated
- 5 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp salt and pepper, divided
- 1/2 pkg (350g pkg) bacon, chopped
- 1 can (540g can) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Debone chicken, separating meat from the bones; reserve bones for making broth for soup. Reserve 1 tbsp lemon zest; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In saucepan, combine 8 cups (2 L) water, lemon slices, parsley stems, 4 cloves garlic, 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken to saucepan. Cook at very low simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Strain chicken; reserving 2 cups (500 mL) cooking liquid. Let cool slightly; shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in large high-sided skillet set over medium-low heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towel; reserve skillet with bacon fat. Reserve 2 tbsp (30 mL) bacon fat for soup; set aside.
- In blender, purée beans, 1 cup (250 mL) reserved cooking liquid, remaining garlic clove, lemon zest, chili flakes, and remaining salt and pepper until smooth.
- Heat reserved skillet with bacon fat over medium heat. Stir in puréed bean mixture; bring to simmer. Stir in chicken; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is heated through. Add pasta, remaining cooking liquid, bacon and 1/3 cup (75 mL) Parmesan cheese. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until pasta is well coated. Garnish with remaining Parmesan and parsley leaves.