Fusilli with Spicy Bolognese Sauce
Fill the house with the comforting aroma of simmering tomato sauce over the weekend, then use the sauce to make a variety of meals during the week or store leftovers in the freezer for a later use.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 2 hrs 30 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Selezione di Bronzo Fusilli
- 2 tbsp Italpasta Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 can Italpasta Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 carrot(s), finely chopped
- 6 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef broth (low sodium)
- 1 tbsp salt
- Parmesan Cheese, grated, garnish / to taste
- Heat oil and butter in large Dutch oven or saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until very soft but not browned.
- Crumble in sausage meat and ground beef; cook, breaking up meat, for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned and liquid has evaporated. Stir in wine, scraping up any brown bits. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until almost completely evaporated.
- Stir in tomato paste, milk, nutmeg and bay leaves; bring to slow simmer. Cover and cook, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes, adding beef broth as needed to prevent scorching, for about 2 hours or until rich and flavourful. Stir in salt; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook fusilli according to package directions. Drain well. Toss fusilli with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan.