Fusilli with Spicy Bolognese Sauce
Fill the house with the comforting aroma of simmering tomato sauce over the weekend, then use the sauce to make a variety of meals during the week or store leftovers in the freezer for a later use.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 2 hrs 30 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Artisan Fusilli
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can Italpasta Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrot(s), finely chopped
- 6 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 3 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 tbsp salt
- Heat oil and butter in large Dutch oven or saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.
- Crumble in sausage meat and ground beef; cook, breaking up meat, for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, milk, and nutmeg. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 2 hours. Stir in salt.
- Cook fusilli according to package directions. Drain well. Toss fusilli with 2 cups (500 ml) sauce.