Gemelli & Asparagus with Watercress Pesto
Perfect for hot summer days, this lovely summer pasta is fresh, light and healthy.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Artisan Gemelli
- 1/2 lb asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 1/2 cups watercress, packed
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley, chopped and divided
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup Pecorino cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding asparagus in the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain and refresh under cold running water; drain well and set aside.
- In food processor, pulse 1/4 cup (60 mL) walnuts and garlic until finely ground. Add watercress, half of the parsley, olive oil, lemon zest, salt and pepper; pulse until smooth. Stir in Pecorino and Parmesan until blended.
- In bowl, toss together pasta, asparagus and watercress pesto. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to serve chilled.
- Just before serving, garnish with shaved Parmesan, and remaining walnuts and parsley.