Gluten Free Sweet Potato Gratin Lasagne
Show the ones you love how much they mean to you by preparing an elegant lasagne accented with fried sage, brown butter, warm spices and a creamy, gluten-free béchamel sauce.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr 20 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Gluten Free Lasagne
- 3 tbsp Italpasta Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 sweet potato, peeled, cut in 1/4 inch slices/rounds
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 16 sage leaves
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 4 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, grated
- 3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp hazelnuts, toasted, crushed
- 1/3 cup Amaretto cookies (gluten-free), crushed
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Toss together sweet potato rounds, olive oil and 1/3 of each salt and pepper. Arrange in single layer on baking sheet; bake for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Reduce oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease baking dish; set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan set over medium heat; add sage leaves. Cook for about 5 minutes or until ends begin to curl and butter is browned but not scorched. Transfer sage leaves to paper towel–lined plate.
- Stir rice flour into butter in saucepan; cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in whipping cream, a splash at a time, until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining salt and pepper, Parmesan and nutmeg.
- Ladle 1/5 of sauce into bottom of prepared dish. Top with one-third of the lasagne noodles, breaking noodles to fit snuggly. Top with 1/5 of sauce, 4 sage leaves, 1/3 of mozzarella, 1/3 of hazelnuts and 1/3 of the sweet potato slices. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining sauce and sage leaves.
- Place heart-shaped cookie cutter in centre of lasagne and fill with crumbled amaretto cookies.
- Cover with foil; bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil; bake for about 15 minutes or until noodles are tender and sauce is bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.