Lemony Kale Pecorino Rotini
- 1/2 lb Italpasta Rotini
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb Tuscan kale, stems removed
- 2 clove garlic
- 1/8 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3/8 cup Pecorino Toscano Cheese, coarsely grated
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt, add to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, add to taste
- Bring 2 large pots of generously salted water to a boil.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- In batches, add the kale to one of the pots and blanch each batch for 1 minute until bright green and just tender. Drain and immediately transfer to the ice water. When cool, drain again. Shake off excess water and transfer the kale to a work surface and chop roughly.
- Meanwhile, cook rigatoni according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup (60 ml) of pasta water, then drain the pasta.
- Transfer kale to a blender or food processor. Add garlic and pine nuts and pulse until coarsely chopped. Drizzle in oil and process until smooth.
- Transfer pesto to a large bowl and stir in 2/3 of Pecorino, lemon juice and lemon zest. Season to taste with chili flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Transfer drained pasta to the large bowl with the pesto and toss well adding the reserved pasta water as needed to get a creamy consistency.
- Test for extra seasoning and lemon juice and serve with more shredded pecorino and red pepper flakes.
Calories: 604kcalCarbohydrates: 66gProtein: 8gFat: 32gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 148mgFiber: 3gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 3450IUVitamin C: 132mgCalcium: 160mgIron: 5.2mg