Mac n’ Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes
A delicious main course or appetizer during the summer months. These tomatoes are stuffed then grilled to cheesy charred perfection.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 3 cup Italpasta Total Pasta Elbows
- 1/4 cup Italpasta Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter (unsalted)
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes, add to taste
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 10 tomatoes, trimmed, flesh scooped out
- salt, add to taste
- pepper, add to taste
- Preheat a lightly oiled grill over medium high heat. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over butter and whisk until golden. Stir in milk and bring to a simmer. Gradually whisk in mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper and add Elbows; toss to combine.
- Trim the bottom of each of the hollowed tomatoes so that they stand straight without rolling. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Divide mac n’ cheese and tomatoes; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, chili flakes (if using), oregano and breadcrumbs.
- Arrange tomatoes on the grill and cook for 15-18 minutes until charred and heated through. Let tomatoes rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve alongside a green salad.