Penne alla Vodka
Penne alla vodka is a classic pasta dish that makes a perfect date night meal. This tomato-based dish is visually arresting and has the flavour to back it up.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 1/6 pkg Italpasta Penne Rigate Pasta
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slice bacon
- 1/6 cup onion (yellow), chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes, crushed
- 5 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup Vodka
- 1 cup heavy cooking cream
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, torn
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Reserve pasta water, drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sliced bacon and cook, stirring until browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain off excess fat leaving approx. 2-3 tbsp in pan. Add onions and chili pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and cook, stirring until thick, about 2 minutes. Add vodka and cook until sauce has reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Stir in cream and cook until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil and remove from heat.
- Toss sauce with pasta adding a bit of reserved pasta water to get the desired texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately garnished with cheese and fresh basil.