Pumpkin Rotini Alla Vodka
This easy, versatile and vegetarian dish is perfect when there’s a chill in the air. Using Tradizionale Rotini, this decadent pasta is packed with the warm flavours of pumpkin, sage, and nutmeg.
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- ½ pkg Italpasta Tradizionale Rotini
- ⅓ cup fresh sage leaves, divided
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ large red onion, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- ¼ tsp crushed red chili flakes
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓ cup vodka
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin purée
- 1 cup 35% whipping cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving ½ cup (125 mL) cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, chop enough of the sage to make 2 tbsp (30 mL); reserve remaining sage leaves and set aside. Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in large skillet set over medium heat; sauté chopped sage, red onion, shallots, chili flakes and nutmeg for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in vodka; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly reduced. Add pumpkin and cream; cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in small skillet over medium heat; cook reserved sage leaves for 1 to 2 minutes or until crispy. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate. Set aside.
- Stir ⅓ cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan into pumpkin sauce; season with salt and pepper. Toss with pasta and reserved cooking liquid.
- Transfer to plates; top with crispy sage leaves and remaining Parmesan.