Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 3 hrs 30 mins
- Bones from whole chicken
- Vegetable scraps, skins and peelings from onion, garlic, kale stems, parsley stems, potato, parsnip, carrot and sweet potato, washed and rinsed as needed
- 1 Parmesan rind
- 3 cloves garlic, divided
- 2 tbsp reserved bacon fat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 small potato, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped
- 1 can (540 mL can) cannellini beans
- 1 can (398 mL can) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 cups Italpasta Baby Shells
- 1/2 bunch chopped kale, about 2 cups
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 loaf crusty bread, sliced and toasted
- In large pot, combine chicken bones, vegetable scraps and Parmesan rind. Pour in 8 cups (2 L) cold water; bring to boil over medium heat. Skim off any foam or impurities that float to the top as needed. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer gently for 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours or until broth is flavourful. Strain through fine-meshed sieve into large pot; set aside.
- Mince 2 garlic cloves; set aside. Heat reserved bacon fat in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion and minced garlic for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in broth, parsnip, carrot, potato, sweet potato, beans, tomatoes, salt, pepper and chili flakes; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Stir in pasta; cook for 6 minutes. Stir in kale and lemon juice; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until pasta is tender and kale is wilted. Garnish with Parmesan. Rub toasted bread with garlic clove; serve bread with soup.