Seared Scallops with Saffron Cream Sauce on Fettucine
If you only have time to shower your Valentine with one romantic meal, make it this. The striking colour combined with succulent seared scallops will have your Valentine singing your praises all year long. If there is one dish to add to your repertoire we highly recommend this Fettucine with Seared Scallops and Saffron Cream Sauce.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 1/2 pound Italpasta Tradizionale Fettucine
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 6 sea scallops (large), patted dry
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Season scallops with salt and pepper. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season water with 1 tablespoon kosher salt, add fettucine and cook until just al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and reserve ¼ cup pasta water.
- Preheat a skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and olive oil, heat until butter is melted and frothy. Add scallops and sear for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Flip and continue to cook until golden and just cook through, 2-3 minutes more. Remove from the skillet and tent scallops with foil.
- Add wine to the skillet and deglaze. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow the wine to reduce by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cream, sugar, remaining butter and saffron threads. Continue to stir until butter is melted and sauce is fully combined; season with salt and pepper.
- Add 3 tablespoons of pasta water and pasta to the skillet; toss for 1 minute. Serve pasta between warm dishes, top each dish with 3 scallops and spoon remaining sauce over the scallops. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- Scallops are an excellent source of vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acids
- Garnishing dishes with fresh herbs add flavour without requiring excessive amounts of salt
- Cooking with unsalted versus salted butter with save approximately ¼ teaspoon of salt per ½ cup of butter.
Calories: 585kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 29g | Sodium: 300mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g