Spaghetti with Mussels, Tricolored Tomatoes and Romesco Cream Sauce
Romesco sauce is a flavourful Spanish-style pesto made with roasted red peppers and almonds. It makes a wonderful addition to pasta sauces and pairs nicely with seafood.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 1/3 pkg Italpasta Total Spaghetti
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cup mussels
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot / small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italpasta Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tbsp whipping cream (35%)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red pepper, jarred, roasted, chopped
- 2 tbsp almonds, toasted
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Scrub mussels, if needed, and remove any beards. Discard any mussels with cracked shells or any that do not close when tapped.
- Toss together grape tomatoes, olive oil, 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, salt and pepper; bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until blistered. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium heat; cook shallot and remaining thyme for about 1 minute or until softened. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine and cream; bring to boil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in food processor, mix together red peppers, almonds, oil, vinegar, garlic, paprika and cayenne until combined.
- Stir Romesco sauce into cream sauce; return to boil. Stir in mussels; cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until mussels open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Toss pasta with mussels and sauce. Spoon reserved roasted tomatoes over top; sprinkle with basil.