Spaghetti with Red Wine Sangria Sauce
- 450 g Italpasta Spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup leftover strained red wine sangria
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced and divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup (60 mL) pasta cooking water; drain spaghetti.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet set over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil. Cook cherry tomatoes, stirring occasionally, until charred and blistered, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until onions are starting to soften. Stir in sangria; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in half the basil. Toss in spaghetti and reserved pasta cooking water until sauce clings to pasta well. Drizzle with remaining oil.
- Finish with remaining basil and a beautiful sprinkling of Parmesan.
Tip: For a savory addition, cook 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced pancetta or bacon in skillet at the start of Step 2, until golden and crispy around edges. Transfer to a plate, then proceed with Step 2. Stir pancetta into sauce in Step 4.
Calories: 460kcalCarbohydrates: 66gProtein: 15gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 380mgFiber: 5gSugar: 8g