Spaghetti with Turkey Bolognese and Pancetta
A lighter twist to Bolognese sauce doesn’t need to be lacking in flavour. This turkey Bolognese gets loads of rich flavour from chopped pancetta.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Tradizionale Spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2/3 cup pancetta (or precooked bacon), chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (or 1/4 / 60 ml lemon juice)
- 1 tube tomato paste
- 1 jar strained tomatoes (passata)
- 1/4 cup 35% whipping cream (or 1/4 / 60 ml milk)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottom saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, carrot, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender but not browned.
- Increase heat to medium-high; cook turkey and pancetta, breaking up turkey into small pieces with wooden spoon, for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in wine and tomato paste; cook for about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in tomatoes and cream. Reduce heat to low; simmer gently for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until thickened and flavourful.
- During the last 10 minutes of simmering; cook pasta according to package directions and drain well. Toss with sauce; top with parsley and sprinkle of Parmesan.