Springtime Chicken Soup with Orzo
Warm up on cool evenings with a light and colourful soup that’s bursting with fresh veggies.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 3/4 cup Italpasta Tradizionale Orzo
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot (or 1/4 / 60 ml onion), finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp / 2 ml dried thyme), finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 cup chicken broth (sodium-reduced)
- 2 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 12 asparagus spears (or 1 1/4 cups / 300 ml frozen asparagus), chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, basil and/or tarragon, finely chopped
- Heat oil in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook shallot, carrots, celery, thyme and salt for about 5 minutes or until softened but not browned. Add broth; bring to boil.
- Add chicken, asparagus, peas and orzo; cook for about 6 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in fresh herbs just before serving.