Sweet Potato and Sausage Gratin
Adding a béchamel sauce takes this gratin over the top!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Tradizionale Fusilli
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 cup sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 4 spicy Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely minced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg, freshly ground
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion for 5 to 7 minutes or until soft and lightly golden. Sprinkle in flour; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 375° (190°C). Grease glass baking dish; set aside.
- Place sweet potato in saucepan; pour in enough water to cover and bring to boil. Cook for about 15 minutes or until sweet potato is fork-tender; drain. Meanwhile, cook fusilli according to package directions; drain. In large skillet, heat 1/2 of the olive oil; cook sausages for 3 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer sausages to cutting board; slice into 1/4-inch (5 mm) slices diagonally. Drain fat from skillet; return sausages to skillet along with pasta and sweet potato. Add Béchamel Sauce, half of the Parmesan, and Cheddar; stir to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, parsley, garlic and remaining Parmesan and olive oil; sprinkle over pasta. Cover and bake for 15 minutes; remove cover and bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until top is golden brown and crisp.