Total Penne Rigate with Mushrooms and Ricotta
A classic pairing – mushroom & Ricotta gets a fibre boost!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Total Penne Rigate
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can Italpasta Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, oyster, baby bella), sliced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat broiler. Grease glass baking dish; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, mushrooms, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper for 8 to 10 minutes or until onion is tender and mushrooms are golden brown. Add tomato sauce and bring to simmer; cook for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in basil.
- Add pasta and half of the mozzarella to pan; stir to combine. Transfer half of the pasta mixture into prepared baking dish; dollop half of the ricotta over top. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.