Total Spaghetti with Mushroom and Lentil Ragu
A hearty vegetarian pasta with a meaty mushroom and lentil sauce. The dried mushrooms add a deep rich flavour.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
- 1 pkg Italpasta Total Spaghetti
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 shallot / small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot(s), finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fennel, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth (no salt added)
- 1 can brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, shaved
- Pour 1/2 cup (125 mL) boiling water over dried mushrooms. Soak for 15 minutes or until rehydrated. Drain and reserve mushroom liquid. Chop and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, heavy-bottom saucepan set over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, celery, fennel and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add mixed mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown and tender. Stir tomato paste and rehydrated mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes. Add red wine and stock and cook, scraping up any brown bits. Stir in reserved mushroom liquid, diced tomatoes, lentils and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until very thick and flavourful. Discard bay leaves.
- During the last 20 minutes of simmering; cook pasta according to package directions and drain well, reserving 1/3 cup (75 mL) pasta water.
- Toss spaghetti with sauce, reserved pasta water and parsley. Serve with Parmesan cheese.