Vegetarian Lasagna Roll Ups
Being mindful of what you eat doesn’t’ have to mean mundane. These rollups are an exciting way to enjoy your favourite pasta, in a fresh way.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
- 2 pkg Italpasta Gluten Free Lasagne (250 g)
- 3 tbsp Italpasta Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 large zucchini, washed, sliced thin lengthwise
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
For the Sauce
- 2 tbsp Italpasta Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 can Italpasta Whole or Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Italpasta Tomato Paste
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lb White Mushrooms, cleaned, chopped
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, crushed
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, add to taste
For the Filling
- 20 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 6 oz Goat Cheese
- 2 cup Mozzarella, shredded
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Basil , for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat to make the sauce. Add garlic and onions and cook for a minute. Add red peppers and sauté for another minute or so. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for a few minutes until tender. Pour in wine, if using, add red pepper flakes, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Add tomatoes with juices, using your hands to squeeze and crush the tomatoes if using whole, and add tomato paste. Stir to combine, bring to a simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes. Stir in basil and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Brush the zucchini slices with olive oil on both sides. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Arrange on a very large baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or use two baking sheets if needed). Bake in heated-oven for 10-15 minutes. When ready, remove from the oven and set aside to cool and reduce oven heat to 350°F (177°C).
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt. Cook gluten free lasagne noodles in batches until tender enough to roll (approximately 5-7 minutes cooking 3-4 sheets at a time). Once boiled, carefully remove with tongs and lay on parchment paper lined baking sheet. When cool enough to handle, cut each sheet in half length-wise
- While lasagna sheets are cooling, make the filling. In a medium size bowl, combine ricotta, goat cheese, shredded mozzarella, and chopped parsley and mix with a spoon until cheese mixture is well combined.
- Prepare a shallow baking dish. Pour about 3/4 of the pasta sauce into the bottom of the baking dish. Spread an even layer of cheese filling on each of the lasagna noodle strips you cut. You may need to cut the larger slices of zucchini in half again, length-wise.
- Top the cheese layer with 1 slice of the roasted zucchini right through the length of the lasagna noodle, then roll the noodles tightly, keeping the seam down.
- Arrange the lasagna rolls carefully in the baking sheet in an upright position, then top with the remaining pasta sauce.
- Bake for 20 mins covered with foil. After 20 minutes, carefully remove the foil, and sprinkle the rolls with the remaining Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella and bake for another 10-12 minutes until bubbling and golden. Garnish with fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.