Red Wine Spaghetti
This red wine stained pasta is a unique twist on traditional pasta cooking. Don’t worry about turning rosy – boiling the wine cooks out the alcohol leaving a deliciously rich flavour.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 1/2 lb Italpasta Spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 bottle red wine, preferably Zinfandel
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water for 4 minutes. Drain pasta and return to the pot. Place the pot back on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the wine and sugar and bring to a boil. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- While pasta cooks, heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and chili flakes and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the breadcrumbs and continue to cook until toasted, about 5 minutes. Season breadcrumbs with salt and pepper.
- Increase skillet temperature to medium-high heat. Add the spaghetti and any remaining liquid, toss for 1 minute. Remove from heat and serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.